This old abandoned door is part of the old convent in Kinsale, sadly now no longer a school but behind these doors there is a lot of activity and redevelopment going on. The convent started originally in 1844 and was a school run by the Sisters of Mercy for almost 150 years, until it closed in the 1980s.
There is a lot of interesting information and old photos of the convent here on Abandoned Ireland, luckily the interiors were all photographed and documented before the developers moved in with their ‘wrecking balls’ – now there are a lot of modern houses and apartments going up behind these convent walls. The exterior walls and old doors are being preserved, for now anyway, which is a good thing.
Check out more doors at Norm’s site here.